Best 4K picture settings for Octagon SF8008

Kaosts

Hi guys,

I recieved my box today and need some advice about the picture settings to choose between the following settings:

- Mode: 2160p or 2160p30?
- Refresh rate: 50 or 60 Hz?
- HDMI colourspace: auto, rgb, 420, 422 or 444?
- HDMI colourimetry: auto, BT 2020 NCL, BT 2020 CL or BT 709?

My tv: LG OLED C9 4K TV

Thanks in advance!

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mode: 2160p
Refresh rate: Depends what country you are in, for Europe 50hz is usually correct, but you could use Multi and it should switch then depending on the content you are viewing.
HDMI colourspace: 444 is best, but your tv will probably default to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 (you can check this by pressing the green button 8 times quickly on your LG TV remote)
HDMI colourimetry: Auto

Kaosts

Mode: 2160p
Refresh rate: Depends what country you are in, for Europe 50hz is usually correct, but you could use Multi and it should switch then depending on the content you are viewing.
HDMI colourspace: 444 is best, but your tv will probably default to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 (you can check this by pressing the green button 8 times quickly on your LG TV remote)
HDMI colourimetry: Auto
Thanks a lot. I have adjusted my settings accordingly.
Hitting the green button 7 and 8 times on my LG didn’t work unfortunately. Maybe some changes within software updates?

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks a lot. I have adjusted my settings accordingly.
Hitting the green button 7 and 8 times on my LG didn’t work unfortunately. Maybe some changes within software updates?
I have the CX but i'm fairly sure it should work on the C9 too.

You have to do it very quickly.

Gold_66

After a lot of fiddling at first, I had decided as follows and I am satisfied with these settings: (TV: LG Oled EG910V - Not 4K)

sf8008_vs.jpg

Kaosts

1935728F-5993-4E6C-A1BF-A77CE876BE4B.jpeg

These are my settings.
Is this okey? Or should I change something?
TV: LG C9 Oled 65" 4K.
Audio Soundbar: Samsung HW-N960 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos

Last edited:

Gold_66

View attachment 3426

These are my settings.
Is this okey? Or should I change something?
TV: LG C9 Oled 65" 4K.
Audio Soundbar: Samsung HW-N960 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos
Since I'm still on OpenATV 6.4 because I don't like py3 images, I don't have some of those options.
For example in my audio settings I only have yes/no for downmix preferences, so I have no idea how passthrough works - if you can control the volume this way on ac3 channels, than it's ok.
As for video settings, you have to try them one by one and see which one you like most, even though there isn't a huge difference between them. I can only recommend setting refresh rate to 50Hz, as "multi" sometimes causes delay when zapping between channels with different resolutions and the screen goes black shortly.

Kaosts

Since I'm still on OpenATV 6.4 because I don't like py3 images, I don't have some of those options.
For example in my audio settings I only have yes/no for downmix preferences, so I have no idea how passthrough works - if you can control the volume this way on ac3 channels, than it's ok.
As for video settings, you have to try them one by one and see which one you like most, even though there isn't a huge difference between them. I can only recommend setting refresh rate to 50Hz, as "multi" sometimes causes delay when zapping between channels with different resolutions and the screen goes black shortly.
I have now set a delay off 500ms on the refresh rate switch.
Thanks

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
@Ev0 any thoughts on the screenshot of my settings?
Personally i'd set:

Display 4:3 content as Pillarbox
Display 16:9 content as Letterbox
And the 500ms on the refresh rate delay which you said you have now done anyway