How to watch MP4 video via USB port

Lateron

I'm trying to watch MP4 videos via the front USB port on my Solo 4K, OpenBH image 5.0, and I get the message "no viewer installed for this mimetype". I tried via a USB stick and a backup hard disk and I get the same message.

Can someone tell me where I can find the right viewer and how and where to install it?
Thanks.

Mick12334

Staff member
Have you tried playing it on your PC, using VLC media player?
Using VLC you can check the viddeo, and audio, details of the video.

Personally I transfer videos, from my PC, to my internal hard drive, using Filezilla, to media/hdd/movies, if you mount your USB stick, as an external recorder, you should be able to transfer the video, to the USB stick, using filezilla, then it should play, providing it's compatible.

I downloaded Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, onto my VU+ hard drive, using Kodi, but it wouldn't play, yet played fine, after I transferred it to my PC, and used VLC Media Player.

Lateron

Have you tried playing it on your PC, using VLC media player?
Using VLC you can check the viddeo, and audio, details of the video.

Personally I transfer videos, from my PC, to my internal hard drive, using Filezilla, to media/hdd/movies, if you mount your USB stick, as an external recorder, you should be able to transfer the video, to the USB stick, using filezilla, then it should play, providing it's compatible.

I downloaded Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, onto my VU+ hard drive, using Kodi, but it wouldn't play, yet played fine, after I transferred it to my PC, and used VLC Media Player.
Thanks for your input.

Just to explain, I tried playing a video on a USB stick as well as on an eternal USB disk drive via Menu/Filebrowser/list of storage devices etc. and each time I got that message about not having the correct driver(mimetype). The same video plays normally when uploaded to the internal disk of the Vu+, via Advanced Movie Ceter. My question was why the difference?

Anyway, I searched further and found a very old post on a Linux site suggesting to use Media Player. It’s pre-installed and I tried it. It’s a bit of a hassle, not as easy as Advanced Movie Center, but it works for me.

I have a 2Tb internal disk which is nearly ¾ full and that is the reason why I wanted to put my video library onto an external USD disk drive as it would not fit onto the internal drive any more.

I just now installed VLC but when I try and use it after having added a server, it crashes the Vu+ and deletes the just added server. I’ve tried this multiple times with the same crash result. I give up on VLC!

It’s still strange that the “mimetype” recognises an internal video but not an external video. I guess that’s because it’s probably embedded within the viewer and is not a separated utility on the system.

Thanks again for you input.

Mick12334

Staff member
I meant play it on your PC, using VLC media Player, to get the full Audio, and video details.
Have you tried burning the movie to DVD, and then playing it in your DVD player?

I don't think any Enigma 2 images support VLC, which is a shame, as I downloaded a video, with dual sound tracks, and subtitles, on by default, which wouldn't work, on my VU+ Duo, but on the PC, with VLC, I could select teh English soundtrack, and switch off the subtitles.
I tried burning it to DVD, using Nero, but it couldn't recognize the file format.

The film wa Mission Impossible: Fallout, as HBO, on 23.5E, showed all the other Mission Impossible movies, except Fallout, and I'd already downloaded the latest Mission Impossible film, using Kodi, so wanted to view Fallout, before viewing it.

The last film, I downloaded, using Kodi, was the Beekeeper, which had a 1080p version, available, yet I couldn't find Mission Impossible Fallout, when I need it, yet can get some of the latest films, most of which are of no interest, to me.