Installed Cobalt FHD skin to OBH5 now stuck booting up

ALIEN1X

I down loaded Cobalt FHD skin as a .tgz file then I pressed trhe green button to get to BH addaon package and install the new skin.
I then went to menu selected skins then selected Cobalt FHD skin which then installed and rebooted.
Now my reciver will not start poperly and is stuck on OBH5 boot logo saying starting enigma2 for the past 45min?

amine2010

it is not compatible. you shall connect to the stb vit telnet and write the command init 4 then via ftp delete the skin in /usr/share/enigma2 then via telet write the command init 3. it will restart with the default skin

AlexWilMac

Staff member
I down loaded Cobalt FHD skin as a .tgz file
Many of you use playing with skins, as they were simply piece of graphic. Why is this skin (and many others, too) not in OBH feeds? What do you think?
Skins are like software and they heavily interact with the operative system, i.e. the image.

ALIEN1X

it is not compatible. you shall connect to the stb vit telnet and write the command init 4 then via ftp delete the skin in /usr/share/enigma2 then via telet write the command init 3. it will restart with the default skin
I will try that
if it dose not work then I will have to reflash so lesson learnt

I downloaded that from linux sat forums and googling, as it menioned OBH5 Skins

ALIEN1X

I will try that
if it dose not work then I will have to reflash so lesson learnt

I downloaded that from linux sat forums and googling, as it menioned OBH5 Skins
I could not et the command init 4 and init 3 to work in telnet it said not recorgnised. So i deleted to cobaltFHD via ftp using samba
I tunrned to reciver off then rebooted still stuck in boot logo starting enigma2...

el bandido

I down loaded Cobalt FHD skin as a .tgz file then I pressed trhe green button to get to BH addaon package and install the new skin.
I then went to menu selected skins then selected Cobalt FHD skin which then installed and rebooted.
Now my reciver will not start properly and is stuck on OBH5 boot logo saying starting enigma2 for the past 45min?

The Cobalt FHD skin is a great but complicated skin. This skin changes or modifies several receiver files when it installs. You may have installed python2 files when you loaded or installed this skin. It is hard to say without knowing exactly what you installed. Just because something is designed for Open BlackHole does not also mean it is compatible with python3.

Probably the only way for you to fix this is reload the image. It is impossible to know why the receiver is stopping without telnet or some sort of crash log. So reloading the image is probably the only way you will fix it.

ALIEN1X

The Cobalt FHD skin is a great but complicated skin. This skin changes or modifies several receiver files when it installs. You may have installed python2 files when you loaded or installed this skin. It is hard to say without knowing exactly what you installed. Just because something is designed for Open BlackHole does not also mean it is compatible with python3.

Probably the only way for you to fix this is reload the image. It is impossible to know why the receiver is stopping without telnet or some sort of crash log. So reloading the image is probably the only way you will fix it.

Thanks, I have reflashed and started again, as had no choice.

Would be good to know wichj skins are compatible with OBH5

AlexWilMac

Staff member
We already told you: only the ones you have in the OBH feed, and downloadable by the addons panel: not difficult.

ALIEN1X

We already told you: only the ones you have in the OBH feed, and downloadable by the addons panel: not difficult.
iF OPen Blackhole 5 was user friendly with explantry text when selectng items etc just like openvix then it would not be difficult.Remember Im new to OPen Blackhole and still learning as I go along
Regarding OBH feed, it would be less confusing if the other feeds was removed and just retain OBH feed so anyone downloading a plugin would be selecting compatible items.
For example why have openvix skins been shown under skins feed in OBH when we know its compatibLe with OBH, as it can be missleeding for anyone?

AlexWilMac

Staff member
If ViX was at least 50% as much friendly than OBH is... Instead is a mess to find the most important menus and functions...
In OBH you do 95% of thing by MENU/.... and the addons are available by green panel, that means just pressing GREEN...
FInally, there are many shortcuts by BLUE button.
You need the green panel to install skins (whilst other extensions are ALSO available by MENU/Plugins, along with the green panel).

el bandido

iF OPen Blackhole 5 was user friendly with explantry text when selectng items etc just like openvix then it would not be difficult.Remember Im new to OPen Blackhole and still learning as I go along
Regarding OBH feed, it would be less confusing if the other feeds was removed and just retain OBH feed so anyone downloading a plugin would be selecting compatible items.
For example why have openvix skins been shown under skins feed in OBH when we know its compatibLe with OBH, as it can be missleeding for anyone?

ANY image is a good image if it has the features you want and if it allows you to watch the channels you want.

It takes a lot of work to make enigma2 images, even the ones that are copies or based on other images. I respect the work that is put into making images and the same can be said for skins. Find an image that works good for you and use it. Forget about the rest of them. Doing this will probably result in less problems and headaches for you.

amine2010

go with FTP to etc/enigma2/settings and change the following line: "config.skin.primary_skin=XXXXX/skin.xml" and change it to config.skin.primary_skin=skin.xml. Save the settings and restart enigma2

AlexWilMac

Staff member
ANY image is a good image if it has the features you want and if it allows you to watch the channels you want.
No, I cannot agree: every (open) images have the same features. But some manage to drive you nuts in order to find out how. Take Pure2, for instance: it's the messiest way to do simple things. And, as a matter of fact, it seems it comes from the same team of Kodi.... and that's explain everything.
Apart from the chaotic Pure2, there are images when it is very complicated to find the main functions or which have not a logical menu structure.
Surely ViX is not as linear as OBH.
Then there is the great advantage we have in OBH to have our specifically designed skins. Other images, not only are chaotic, but are also ugly-looking.
This is, of course, a totally subjective and not objective opinion. But what is sure is that not every images have a friendly and tidy GUI.
The functions are there but, sometimes, hidden.

el bandido

go with FTP to etc/enigma2/settings and change the following line: "config.skin.primary_skin=XXXXX/skin.xml" and change it to config.skin.primary_skin=skin.xml. Save the settings and restart enigma2
What good does it do to change the settings file when a skin has loaded or changed several enigma2 files? You can change the settings all day and the receiver will still fail to boot if the skin installed files that are not compatible with the image.

No, I cannot agree: every (open) images have the same features. But some manage to drive you nuts in order to find out how. Take Pure2, for instance: it's the messiest way to do simple things. And, as a matter of fact, it seems it comes from the same team of Kodi.... and that's explain everything.
Apart from the chaotic Pure2, there are images when it is very complicated to find the main functions or which have not a logical menu structure.
Surely ViX is not as linear as OBH.
Then there is the great advantage we have in OBH to have our specifically designed skins. Other images, not only are chaotic, but are also ugly-looking.
This is, of course, a totally subjective and not objective opinion. But what is sure is that not every images have a friendly and tidy GUI.
The functions are there but, sometimes, hidden.

I did not say "every (open) images have the same features". This is what I wrote: "ANY image is a good image if it has the features you want and if it allows you to watch the channels you want."
One image may be easy to navigate for one user, but not for another. So my suggestion is find what works best for you and stay with it.

As for Pure2, they are the only image group that VuPlus is supporting or communicating with right now. This information has to be true because it was posted on PURe2 website. At least PURe2 has a good imagination. LOL

ALIEN1X

Thanks for gettting back to me, I will take note of what you have advised for future refrence because last night I reflashed the image and started fresh

el bandido

Again, modifying the settings file to the default skin and/or deleting a folder located in /usr/share would not have fixed this problem. Skins were simple a few years ago, and did not modify or change system files. But that is not the case anymore. Lots of skins today change or modify system files.

Attached is an unpacked skin that will contain all of the files that will be installed. Unzipping this skin file and looking at the contents will give some idea as to how many files a skin may change. Since system files are being altered, other things may or may not work correctly after a skin like this is installed.

Most skin authors work very hard for the community and this work is appreciated greatly. The attached skins works excellent in the images it was designed for. Users have to be careful of what they install and understand what they are installing. It is a good idea to make a complete image backup before you start playing with skins so you have a restore point. Sharp987 is an excellent skin maker. But he cannot control what image his work is installed in!!!

Attachments

• enigma2-skin-ulmc_fhd_sharp987_openpli8.1-r1.04_al_unpacked.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 46

ALIEN1X

Again, modifying the settings file to the default skin and/or deleting a folder located in /usr/share would not have fixed this problem. Skins were simple a few years ago, and did not modify or change system files. But that is not the case anymore. Lots of skins today change or modify system files.

Attached is an unpacked skin that will contain all of the files that will be installed. Unzipping this skin file and looking at the contents will give some idea as to how many files a skin may change. Since system files are being altered, other things may or may not work correctly after a skin like this is installed.

Most skin authors work very hard for the community and this work is appreciated greatly. The attached skins works excellent in the images it was designed for. Users have to be careful of what they install and understand what they are installing. It is a good idea to make a complete image backup before you start playing with skins so you have a restore point. Sharp987 is an excellent skin maker. But he cannot control what image his work is installed in!!!
I have never heard of Sharp987 but did a quick google search. I guessing this is not a compativel skin for OBH5 as its not on the OBH5 feeds?

el bandido

Enigma2 images can be put into 2 categories.
(1) OpenPLi or images based on OpenPLi
(2) OE Alliance images

There are a few more image types out there than this, but most images will fall into 1 of the 2 types listed above.

In general,
Skins built for OpenPLi will not work correctly in OE Alliance images. Skins built for OE Alliance images will not work correctly in OpenPLi images.

The biggest problem with skins right now is some are designed for python3 while others are designed for python2. Adding python2 files to a python3 image may cause boot failure unless the offending files are removed. So it is best to stick with skins that are in the feeds unless you are capable of restoring your receiver.

If you don't understand telnet and do not have the capability to manually remove or add files to your existing image, then it is best to use only skins in the feeds. Installing different skins is one of the quickest ways to cause boot failure in enigma2 receivers. It is a good idea to always have a recent, complete image backup available as a restore point before loading any skin, including the ones in feeds.

AlexWilMac

Staff member
I have never heard of Sharp987 but did a quick google search. I guessing this is not a compativel skin for OBH5 as its not on the OBH5 feeds?
Really? After all we said when you tried to install it, it wasn't enough clear? See my post#3.