How to recover using USB stick

I think the image says it all....it's in a constant loop can't access box at all, can you tell me how to re-install from usb to reover from this mess...IMG_5267.jpeg

Can you tell me how to do re-flash? I only have access via usb as didn't setup remote access. So I need a recovery USB. I've formatted usb to FAT32, loaded software from here - box briefly reads usb, but doesn't use it to boot from.

Do I just download 5.3 and copy it onto USB? Cos that's what I've been doing....and it hasn't worked so far.....thanks

This is what's on the usb - I'm trying to re-flash via usb slot on the back of the box. I don't have access to do this via menu with box running, as it's caught in a loop and won't boot on

-Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 05.41.30.png

Mick12334

Staff member
Your receiver is too old for the latest images, which are python 3.
Download the OpenBh 5 version, to your PC.

Unzip it. so that you have the vuplus folder.
Format a USB stick, on your PC, to FAT32.
Copy the vuplus folder onto your newly formatted USB stick.
Take the USB stick to your receiver.
Power off Vu+ Duo with switch on the back
Insert USB Pen Drive into the USB socket on Vu+ Duo
Power on Vu+ Duo
Image will auto install from the USB Stick.
Look at the display on the receiver, it'll display when the update has finished.
Remove the USB Stick
Power off receiver.
Power on Receiver.
Follow the installation options.

You will lose your settings, and channel list, unless you have backed up your channel list using dreamboxedit, or other utility.

Hey thanks so much for the prompt responses! Its not picking up on usb to re flash....I guess this is terminal for this box. Will buy a new usb and try that as the last hurrah.

Any recommendations on open source receivers?

cheers
Wyn

Mick12334

Staff member
Usually the cheaper, older, USB sticks work best. I use an old Kingston 8GB USB stick, for my duo 2.
There are that many cheap, Enigma 2, receivers, that are cheap, that it's impossible to recommend one. It all depends on your future needs, e.g. is your TV 4K, as you might want a 4K receiver, do you want an internal hard drive, for recording, quite a few have HDD caddy's where you just slide a hard drive in, and out, so can be quickly replaced?
Do you need multiple tuners, so that you can record a channel and still view others?
You need to work out a budget, and what's most important, to you.

Last edited:
oh schucks just bought a new one...tried 3 old ones nothing doing. I'll give the new one a go.

BTW if I could access the files I could fix this yes? Well I can see it on my network, tried connecting using FileZilla but no luck. I guess access needed to be sorted when I was configuring the box....

I'm Mac based, could I use terminal to connect?

thanks

Mick12334

Staff member
I haven't got a Mac, used to build my own PC's. Don't you have a Laptop, running Windows, or can borrow one?
How good is a Mac, with formatting USB sticks, to FAT 32, and uploading the vuplus folder? I always imagined that they have extra, annoying, security, which might give out warnings, with some files/programs, used on Enigma 2 based receivers.

Well macOS is a version of linux! - it formats to fat32 so it says....my new one came pre-formatted fat32 - and I have great news - my new £15 usb stick has worked!!! Fresh install of OpenBh 5.0. We've sorted it, just doing service scans.

Can't tell u how much I appreciate you help Mick