HowTo Vu+ Multiboot in OpenBh 5.2

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
I installed black hole without using usb. It is installed, but after resetting, you can't go back to the first image
Why would you install an image that hasn't been supported for over 2 years and expect it to work ?

If you search on here you will find files you need to be able to boot to another image from BH.

old-man

Hello,
this is my first post on openbh.

I have a Vu Uno 4K SE with the newest VTI image running.
Because I am curious I would like to try out openbh.

These are the steps I would do:

1) Backup my current Vu image (15.0.2) to an usb stick.
2) Install OpenBh 5.3 on the Vu. Or is it better to use OpenBh 5.2?
3) Select MultiBoot Option.
4) Install OpenBh 5.3 on slot 1
5) Install my Usb Backup of VTI on slot 2. (Not sure if VTI 15.0.2 will work with Multiboot?)

Does this roughly make sense or am I overlooking something?

Many Greetings

Last edited:

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Hello,
this is my first post on openbh.

I have a Vu Uno 4K SE with the newest VTI image running.
Because I am curious I would like to try out openbh.

These are the steps I would do:

1) Backup my current Vu image (15.0.2) to an usb stick.
2) Install OpenBh 5.3 on the Vu. Or is it better to use OpenBh 5.2?
3) Select MultiBoot Option.
4) Install OpenBh 5.3 on slot 1
5) Install my Usb Backup of VTI on slot 2. (Not sure if VTI 15.0.2 will work with Multiboot?)

Does this roughly make sense or am I overlooking something?

Many Greetings
OpenBh 5.3 is the one to use.

Your backup should restore to Slot 2, the only issue you might have, is getting out of the VTi image as it does not support mulitboot.

old-man

OpenBh 5.3 is the one to use.

Your backup should restore to Slot 2, the only issue you might have, is getting out of the VTi image as it does not support mulitboot.
Thanks alot! So this means when I am in VTi I have to really switch off and on again the box to get into the multi boot screen. If I am in openbh I can then just soft restart the box with the remote to see the multboot screen?

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks alot! So this means when I am in VTi I have to really switch off and on again the box to get into the multi boot screen. If I am in openbh I can then just soft restart the box with the remote to see the multboot screen?
No turning the box off and on again it will just boot VTi again.

You will have to use the STARTUP_RECOVERY file from post 1, on the root of the usb, this will then let you boot to recovery image and from there you can select OpenBh again.

I don't think anyone has created another way to get out of the VTi image.

NotLikeSomeone

I don't remember: to add new slots, is it possible only starting the box by the STARTUP_RECOVERY procedure and a pendrive?
I've created 3 slots: if I understand correctly, this is the maximum allowed in flash, right?
It'd be useful, at this point of the new multiboot life, to have a proper guide. :)

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
I don't remember: to add new slots, is it possible only starting the box by the STARTUP_RECOVERY procedure and a pendrive?
I've created 3 slots: if I understand correctly, this is the maximum allowed in flash, right?
It'd be useful, at this point of the new multiboot life, to have a proper guide. :)
Go to multiboot selector and press red to add more slots to usb.

3 is the max allowed in flash, correct.

NotLikeSomeone

Oh... I've found out that, if no USB device is connected, you'll never know that, because the red button only displays "cancel".
Maybe it'd be more useful to show the "add extra slots" anyway and then, if no USB device is connected, just prompt an appropriate message there.
Otherwise, users will be looking around for such a chance. :)

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Oh... I've found out that, if no USB device is connected, you'll never know that, because the red button only displays "cancel".
Maybe it'd be more useful to show the "add extra slots" anyway and then, if no USB device is connected, just prompt an appropriate message there.
Otherwise, users will be looking around for such a chance. :)
How would that be more useful ?

If USB is connected then it will allow you to add slots, if no USB then there is no option.

NotLikeSomeone

Because I had to ask the forum just because I didn't see any options. And I had to know also that 3 slots are the maximum allowed for the flash slots.
Although I posted few messages, I'm an experienced user of enigma2 boxes and of OpenBh images.
I think that coders should be in the average user's shoes in order to make things as more linear as possible to the majority of people.
If red button would display always the Extra slots message, just warning about these two aspects, it make the GUI much more complete and effective, in my humble opinion.

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Because I had to ask the forum just because I didn't see any options. And I had to know also that 3 slots are the maximum allowed for the flash slots.
Although I posted few messages, I'm an experienced user of enigma2 boxes and of OpenBh images.
I think that coders should be in the average user's shoes in order to make things as more linear as possible to the majority of people.
If red button would display always the Extra slots message, just warning about these two aspects, it make the GUI much more complete and effective, in my humble opinion.
I disagree, if the option was to show all the time, we would have many more users asking why there is an option available that they can not use.

It's a fine line and you can't keep everyone happy all of the time. I think the way it is now makes the most sense.

old-man

I am using since 1 week multiboot very successful. I restored an VTI image to slot 3. It appears in the multiboot menu as "Steckplatz3 - (2023-11-21)"
Can I change the name somehow? I would like it to be "Steckplatz3 - VTI 15.0.0.2 (2023-11-21)"

chojny

after the last update, i.e. 5.3.14, after the update, recovery looped, it reports an error and Enigma 2 resets, how to fix it?

peleng

I used multiboot. Moved to slot 0. I noticed that the download button Backup&Image Manager not work. I tried to restore (upload) a new image via USB - it didn’t work. I will be glad if you help.
vu+zero 4k,OpenBh 5.3-013

Attachments

• Enigma2_crash_2023-12-03_04-29-46.log.zip
    5 KB · Views: 3

ali 66

hello.
i am a little confused about multiboot.

ultimo4k, vti in flash.

i tried neoboot, but then booting stopps every times.

so my quedtion, is it posdible to keep vti in Flash,
and bh and pli in flash or on hdd with this multiboot?

vg.