LG Nanocell hdmi-cec with STB OpenBH

ZgredekLCD

Hey, I asked a similar question in the subforum, but I think OpenBh General Discussions is a better place for it.

I've read all possible threads related to HDMI-CEC, and I'm aware that there were and are problems with LG (although they were 2020 topics). Maybe let's from the beginning, I have an LG Nanocell 793NE that runs on webos, it has HDMI-CEC (not sure if on all ports or just the first one). I also have a set-top box on OpenBH, where I also enabled HDMI-CEC, the set-top box is only used for me to watch TV, so I'd like to make it so that when I turn on the LG the set-top box turns on and so that I can control channels, volume. I tested and it doesn't respond to starting tv or turning it off. Do all hdmi ports support hdmi-cec? Do I need to have some certified cable under it? Is it just that LG has some other foramt of commands sent over HDMI? Has anyone had any success connecting this?

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
It is probably a driver issue.

I don't have that TV so nothing I can do to test, but I can tell you HDMI-CEC works fine on my 2020 LG CX and also my 2022 LG CS

ZgredekLCD

It is probably a driver issue.

I don't have that TV so nothing I can do to test, but I can tell you HDMI-CEC works fine on my 2020 LG CX and also my 2022 LG CS
I checked model CX (on manufacturer page) and it’s also on webos, so I do something wrong :/ Could you send me a screenshot how do you configure OpenBH and LG? Do you have plugged STB to first port HDMI? Do you use a magic remote from LG or standard remote control LG?

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
I don't actually use hdmi-cec on my tv's anymore as I have hdmi switches on every port (more stb's than hdmi ports on the tv) and it gets confused. But when I tested I just enabled hdmi-cec in obh I don't remember changing any other settings.

On the TV, I had to turn hdmi-cec (simplink) in the hdmi settings.

I was using the box remote, to turn the tv on / off with the box.

ZgredekLCD

Ohh, okay. Thanks! So I have to check with other cable maybe somethere is problem. Have you tried the other way? I mean turning on the tv turns on the decoder and changes channels from LG remote?

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Ohh, okay. Thanks! So I have to check with other cable maybe somethere is problem. Have you tried the other way? I mean turning on the tv turns on the decoder and changes channels from LG remote?
I don't remember, as said I can not use hdmi-cec anymore as far too many devices connected via hdmi switches.

B.D.

I also did some tests because I was curious but it doesn't seem to work here either. I have all the HDMI outputs on my TV but it doesn't seem to display the CEC from the TV, the photo below shows it.
My TV is a Samsung.

20231018_153704.jpg

However, I don't know what the remote of that decoder is like but the Octagon's also has a set of "TV control buttons" which, once paired with those of the TV remote, allow some functions such as raising or lowering the volume of the TV or turning it on or off. If they are also on yours they are very useful.

20231018_234354[1].jpg

Last edited:

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
IIRC with Samsung tv's you usually need to set the delay (minimum send interval) to around 1000ms

B.D.

Thanks Ev0.
I tried but it doesn't see it anyway.
It's not important to me, it was just curiosity and was reporting what happens here in case of any use.

1_0_19_BBE_3A2_110_EEEE0262_0_0_0_20231019001327 (2).jpg