Multiboot menu at the start: my plugin

AlexWilMac

Staff member
Moderator
I’ve been away from this forum for a very long time, because of things that were not pleasant and that made me decide to stop posting. I’d rather leave them behind.

That never meant I stopped loving OBH.

Today I’m back, to present a plugin I made: it adds a MENU at start-up, to choose among the slots you have in MultiBoot. It changes neither the image nor any kernel — it uses the initrd= parameter that the kexec first stage already reads from /STARTUP, plus the STARTUP_ONCE mechanism, and the menu itself runs from the Recovery, before any image starts.

I was waiting to do more testing before presenting it, but today I found out that @Liquid is already working on something in this area. So here it is as it stands: if you think it’s a good start and you’d like to use it, or build on it, feel free. The ipk is attached and the GitHub repository is public.

At the moment it is tested only on the Ultimo 4K, with OpenBH 6.0.x and OpenATV 7.x, and I was starting to test it on a Zero 4K as well. The plugin checks the receiver model and stays out of the way on anything else — if anyone with another Vu+ 4K wants to help, the README says which two read-only commands to run and what to report.

One thing worth saying, since it touches /boot/STARTUP: if the menu fails to start, the default image starts once; if it fails twice in a row, /boot/STARTUP is restored and the menu switches itself off. The README also has the manual way out.

Repository: https://github.com/AlexWilMac/multiboot-startup-menu
Release 0.4.0, ipk and source: https://github.com/AlexWilMac/multiboot-startup-menu/releases/tag/v0.4.0

GPL-2.0-only. English and Italian; the translation template is in po/ if anyone wants to add a language.
 

Attachments

Back
Top