Octagon SF8008 Supreme Short Review

el bandido

The Octagon SF8008 Supreme was introduced at the beginning of 2024 and is now starting to be available on markets all over the world. The SF8008 Supreme is basically an old FTA receiver in a new Gift Box with a couple of new or updated features. The SF8008 Supreme has provisions for an internal Solid State Drive(ssd) and the wifi has been improved.

Octagon SF8008 Supreme lists the tuner as AVL62X1 in enigma2 images which is also different than the SF8008 Supreme. The Octagon website lists the SF8008 Supreme as being capable of receiving low symbol rates of 100 to high symbol rates of 80,000. In reality, the Octagon SF8008 Supreme struggles with any transponder that is below 1000 symbol rate and cannot even come close to the advertised symbol rate of 100. (Most likely, the high symbol rate of 80,000 is probably fiction too but no transponder exists to test it.)

The SF8008 Supreme has the ability to receive and display satellite signals that are below lock. This is a very useful and unique feature for FTA enigma2 receivers, but none of the main image groups provide the modifications needed in enigma2 to display signal below lock.

The SF8008 Supreme uses the same kernel and enigma2 image as the SF8008. So basically the SF8008 Supreme is nothing more than a SF8008 with a few updates added. The SF8008 Supreme uses the same remote as the SF8008 which causes problems if both of these receivers are being used in the same room. The SF8008 Supreme also has Bluetooth capability, but I have yet to find anything that it can be used for. Headphones and other Bluetooth items that I have tried on the SF8008 Supreme do not work!

FTA satellite reception on the SF8008 Supreme is similar to the SF8008. The SF8008 Supreme receives both 16 and 32 APSK satellite transponders and does a decent job of playing the channels on the APSK transponders, providing your antenna can produce the signal needed to receive APSK transponders. The SF8008 Supreme is no "Miracle Worker", but does do a good job on transponders that require lots of signal to be useful. Satellite blindscan fails to complete at random times in the SF8008 Supreme.

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, I would rate the SF8008 Supreme as a 7. This rating could easily go to 8 if the low symbol rate would actually work, but I doubt that happens. The SF8008 Supreme is a decent DX type FTA receiver. A person just has to know its limits and live with them. We are already in April of 2024. It is doubtful we will see many other FTA receivers being released as 'New" for 2024.

el bandido

Really there is no alternative today. What else do we have offered as "New" for 2024 Today? 2024 Is almost at the halfway point and the Supreme is all we have.

I find the SF8008 Supreme to be at least a decent FTA type receiver. You have internal storage capability (SSD), two satellite tuners that work, and the option to add usb tuners. So the basics are covered with the Supreme.

The only thing I find that doesn't work as advertised is the low symbol rate. Any transponder below 1000 symbol rate may or may not work. The satellite tuner system is not stable below 1000 symbol rate.

You cannot rely on what is advertised as features on any FTA receiver.
The only way to find out what features a FTA receiver actually has is to buy it and try it. Very little is written about how a receiver actually performs. Most receiver reviews are nothing but sales flyers or advertisements.

Attempts are being made to fix the low symbol rate problem. The SF8008 Supreme has Avalink AVL6261C, which is the same as the current Edision 4K receivers.

antrabe

ok so maybe my choice is to change my last version of octagon for new supreme because this edison 4k is 4 years old and only has better ram 2g versus octagon.