SanDisk Ultra microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I U1 A1 400GB

SuperGlud

Before doing all this test theorizing a software issue, you should be sure it's not a HW failure, due to the card you are trying to use. Only using a new card you can be sure or trying to use this card elsewhere.
Thx
Yes, indeed.
The card is good.
I have two totally new cards.
Best regards

SuperGlud

FYI:
Crash while doing image backup to media/hdd (sd-card)
( without inserted/mounted usb-stick )

Best regards

Attachments

• Enigma2_crash_2022-06-01_18-30-53.txt
    41.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Enigma2_debug_2022-06-01_18-28-28.txt
    4 MB · Views: 1

Liquid

Staff member
Administrator
FYI:
Crash while doing image backup to media/hdd (sd-card)
( without inserted/mounted usb-stick )

Best regards
Are you sure your supplier is reliable?

If not you could have got counterfeit microSD.

If so the card could be slower then you think... Or it seems to be 400gb indeed it could be 128gb. Try to copy into some video with your PC and try to look if after the copy they looks good.

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
I can confirm there is indeed an issue.

I have managed to get my box to do something similar using my 128gb card.

The problem is the log doesn't tell us much.

SuperGlud

I can confirm there is indeed an issue.

I have managed to get my box to do something similar using my 128gb card.

The problem is the log doesn't tell us much.

Hi Ev0

Thx for looking into the issue.

Nice that you managed to reproduce the error.

Let me know if i can help in any way.

Thx.
Best regards

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
It seems that this is a hw / bus issue with the sd card reader.

Myself, @Liquid and @twol have all looked into this.

We have come to the conclusion that when the sf8008 was designed, the sd card was never intended to be used as a hdd replacement, but to be used as a way of providing multiple images in an alternative multiboot solution. Therefore either the sd card reader itself or the bus that it uses, is not fast enough to be used reliably as a hdd replacement.

A 400gb card has been tested in other hisilicon receivers without exhibiting similar issues.

SuperGlud

It seems that this is a hw / bus issue with the sd card reader.

Myself, @Liquid and @twol have all looked into this.

We have come to the conclusion that when the sf8008 was designed, the sd card was never intended to be used as a hdd replacement, but to be used as a way of providing multiple images in an alternative multiboot solution. Therefore either the sd card reader itself or the bus that it uses, is not fast enough to be used reliably as a hdd replacement.

A 400gb card has been tested in other hisilicon receivers without exhibiting similar issues.

OPENATV seems to work stable or am i misunderstanding something ?
Octagon SF8008 UHD 4K Satellite Receiver Including Babotech® HDMI Cable DVB-S2X DVB-C/T2 Combo [HDR H.265 E2 Linux Dual WiFi] 400GB
Best regards

twol

Vix Developer
VIP
you mean the advertising blurb? Nothing to do with actual capabilities.
Both OpenBH, OpenATV & OpenBH are based around the OE-Alliance software components with differences in the the Enigma E2 code. Having said that the C++ code (and especially the special (Octagon) ServiceHisilicon C++ routines are the same.
The fact that I have tested the 400GB SanDisk on zgemma boxes without seeing the buffer full issue seen in your logs(and mine on the sf8008 & gbtrio4K) indicates an issue with the Octagon (and similar receivers like the Trio4k) hardware............ unfortunately I cannot pick up reception on my dvb-t2 tuner or I would add that to the test, but you can see the basic issue without the tuner being involved.

SuperGlud

you mean the advertising blurb? Nothing to do with actual capabilities.
Both OpenBH, OpenATV & OpenBH are based around the OE-Alliance software components with differences in the the Enigma E2 code. Having said that the C++ code (and especially the special (Octagon) ServiceHisilicon C++ routines are the same.
The fact that I have tested the 400GB SanDisk on zgemma boxes without seeing the buffer full issue seen in your logs(and mine on the sf8008 & gbtrio4K) indicates an issue with the Octagon (and similar receivers like the Trio4k) hardware............ unfortunately I cannot pick up reception on my dvb-t2 tuner or I would add that to the test, but you can see the basic issue without the tuner being involved.
You could be right, that it is a hardware issue. (I hope not)
I will have a go on the OpenAtv to clarify if it was indeed a advertising blurb.
Anyway Thx for spending time on the issue.
And thx for keeping me in the loop.

FYI:
I can do recording and timeshift simultaneously and as long as i sit tight and do nothing else, all is ok.
And the "image backup" is not always interrupted, 50% is finishing ok.
Strange indeed.

Best regards

twol

Vix Developer
VIP
You could be right, that it is a hardware issue. (I hope not)
I will have a go on the OpenAtv to clarify if it was indeed a advertising blurb.
Anyway Thx for spending time on the issue.
And thx for keeping me in the loop.

FYI:
I can do recording and timeshift simultaneously and as long as i sit tight and do nothing else, all is ok.
And the "image backup" is not always interrupted, 50% is finishing ok.
Strange indeed.

Best regards
I see the same ...... but debug logs shows buffer full msgs, which doesn't appear on other HiSilicon receivers like Zgemma
If you see different on ATV then post and we will have a look again

SuperGlud

This MicroSDcard is working perfectly on the Octagon SF8008.

Manufacturer: Kingston
Model: SDCS2/128GBSP
Ean: 740617299076
Kingston Canvas Select Plus - 128 GB - microSDXC UHS-I
A1 / Video Class V10 / UHS Class 1 / Class10

So it seem like Octagon SF8008 do not like SanDisk cards ?
Could this be some kind of "Driver" / "firmware" issue ?

Best regards

Ev0

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This MicroSDcard is working perfectly on the Octagon SF8008.

Manufacturer: Kingston
Model: SDCS2/128GBSP
A1 / Video Class V10 / UHS Class 1 / Class10

So it seem like Octagon SF8008 do not like SanDisk cards ?
Could this be some kind of "Driver" / "firmware" issue ?

Best regards
Glad you got it working,

It's not uncommon for some memory sticks / sd cards to not work well with some devices.

Liquid

Staff member
Administrator
Recording a video stream should be a sequential write.
Microsd class A1 and A2 have Both a minimal sequential write of 10MB.
There exists also microSD for video usage that have better performance. So OEM could decide to produce video microSD and the one that doesn't meet quality check get branded with a1 or a2.. others might decide do produce a1 or a2 card that meets the minimal req and not more

alberto

Questa scheda MicroSD funziona perfettamente sull'Octagon SF8008.

Produttore: Kingston
Modello: SDCS2/128GBSP
A1 / Classe video V10 / Classe UHS 1 / Classe 10

Quindi sembra che Octagon SF8008 non ami le schede SanDisk ?
Potrebbe essere una specie di problema di "Driver"/"firmware" ?

Distinti saluti
ciao io un problema simile l'ho avuto con una SANDISK 128GB EXTREME CLASS 10 UHS-I U3 A2 ...mentre con la stessa microsd kingston che hai citato sopra problema risolto...quindi si credo che Octagon SF8008 non digerisca la sandisk.